Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Great Governance Formula

Click image to enlarge
Previously, I've referred to the idea of a 'formula' involving residents and their elected officials. I'd been thinking about it recently and realized that I hadn't really nailed the concept very well. Because I'm not a mathematics-type person, I'd unconsciously had the two elements on either side of the '=' sign. But that's not the case at all. They're both on one side, with 'Governance' on the other. 

What's all the more important, and I threw this out for consideration at last night's Hamilton Civic League meeting, is this:

At any given time, the 'Councillors' portion is delivering an average of about 75% of potential. There are always some stinky incidents and there are sometimes some interludes of excellence. 

But where the citizenry are concerned...

Wearing my 'Chapeau de Cynisme', I'd say that Hamilton's down on the low end of the 'Potential' scale. Maybe around 20, 25%? (I know that Those Who Are Active will undoubtedly rail at me for this suggestion. But I calls 'em as I sees 'em.)

Do I find this depressing? 

Nope. 

I take enormous solace in considering how much potential we have at our fingertips. 




M Adrian Brassington

No comments:

Post a Comment